Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Singapore Youth Olympic Games 2010

Today is finally the last day of our Singapore Youth Olympic Games. I totally enjoyed this period.


Journey of the Youth Olympic Flame

As TP was the North East Celebration Site for Torch Relay, it was an eye opener for me. If we were not involved, i don't think i will even watch it. Though i was quite sad that i couldn't attend the talk by Hossan Leong and i couldn't go over to the Bedok Reservoir, I totally could feel the excitement of Hwee Hoon and Haroz as the Torch Bearer. Hwee Hoon told me that she never felt so important in her life before. So touching.

Oh yes, i was happy to watch Monster performing right in front of me. And i totally love our emcees - Joan, Benjamin and Denis. They were doing their job so well and making my job felt a lot easier.


Opening Ceremony

Due to the fact that TP provided some volunteers for the rehearsals, I got tickets to watch the 1st rehearsal with Sylvia. It was really a very messy rehearsal. The lights, video, screen, music and setting were all not ready. I was so scared that it might be like that till the actual day.

One thing interesting about the Opening was that Jean and TPDE dancers were performing for the Opening Ceremony! Coz Ryan choreographed the dance and asked for volunteers to perform, a lot of TPDE dancers were involved. Jean offered her complimentary tickets for the last rehearsal to me. I wasn't keen at the first place but she told me that it was nicer and with fireworks so i decided to attend another time. Oh ya, I met my CO alumni, Shiyun on both rehearsals. She was the usher with her twin sister. Anyway, this rehearsal was really so much better though there were still some minor mistakes.
And i must said that i was totally surprise when i watched it on TV. It looked so much better on TV and i was thinking whether it was due to the filming angles. Fadly told me that he was the one doing the live video directing. Wow! But i think it just happened. Usually the actual performance always surpassed the rehearsal greatly.

Oh yes, i was impressed by the last part too. I never seen the dragonboat and the lighting of cauldron during rehearsal before. It was really amazing. No wonder the organiser wanted to keep it a secret.

Due to this Opening Ceremony, Meiqi was even featured in the newspaper. Heehee. More exposure than Foong coz Foong only appeared 3 times on TV.


Volleyball @ Toa Payoh Stadium

I was so enthusiastic in watching the games that i've gotten Hwee Hoon, Wee How and Darren to watch the prelims. Coz all the tickets were sold out, we queued outside from 9.30am until 10.45am before we got in to watch the 10am game. The rule was such that if people with ticket did not turn up, we would be able to buy tickets and get in. There were some issues among our group on that day but nothing affect the exciting games that we have watched. The Russian and Cuba teams were impressive. Very powerful strikes. We even waited outside to take photos with the Russian team. They were all so friendly!

Btw, from these matches, i realised that it might not be worth it to buy ticket to watch the girls playing. I almost fall asleep when they were playing. Heehee. But anyway, the ticket was really cheap. Only $10 and you could watch all the 4 matches on that day from morning till night. What's more was that a prepaid card was given to you so that you could take buses and MRT for free. Such a great offer!



Closing Ceremony

Just watched the ceremony on TV and i saw the O Crew dancing. Gin's hairstyle was really cool. I think short hair looked great on her. Jean told me that Ryan was the Merly mascot. No wonder Hwee Hoon felt that the mascots looked so bubbly this round. Heehee.

But I wonder why the TV always didn't have subtitle to indicate who the people were and what were the song titles. We really wanted to know that song title. It was such a nice song and i couldn't find it anywhere online too.

Conclusion

Singapore impressed me by winning some bronze and silver medals. I am so proud that we did so well even though we are such a small country with not many talents as compared to huge countries like China. I was like following most of the matches that we took part in. Nice!

Anyway, to commemorate this event, i even bought key chains and pins as souvenirs. Wanted to help Sheena to buy the Merly stuffed toy but it was sold out everywhere. I think many people were as enthu as me. Lol


No comments: