Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ippudo Ramen @ Mandarin Gallery

The review of this restaurant was very good. That's why no matter what time i go, the queue is always very long. You will have to wait almost an hour and sometimes even more than that.

Another interesting observation was that there were a lot of japanese men eating alone there. I think it must be really good and taste really local for them to queue so long for it even though they were eating alone.

Most of the waiters there were japanese and they usually communicate with the costumers in japanese. This was quite difficult for me coz i have returned everything that i have learnt back to the lecturer so usually i would just smile and pretend that i understand. lol

I tried 3 of their specialties - Shiromaru Classic with Chasu, Akamaru Modern with Egg and Kyushu Miso with Tokotsu.

The classic one was a bit bland if you eat with other flavours. But quite a number of them actually ordered this.

For me, I preferred the Akamaru one. It is pork stock boiled with
red miso and a dash of black garlic oil. I am not a fan of miso but this is really yummy. I like the taste of this soup base. More flavourful. Noodles are ultra thin and flat, a Hakata specialty.
Their noodles are usually quite small portion but they allow you to order another bowl of noodles ($2 I think) if you have sufficient soup left. You can top up your ingredients (such as pork for $3 and egg for $2) too. For me, their ingredients were really too little so i usually will add the chasu aka pork.

If you use a certain credit card to pay, you will be able to get free green tea ice cream. Cannot remember which credit card, most probably is OCBC. But the friendly waiters will be happy to advise you on this.

Actually I have eaten Ippudo ramen in Hokkaido but i dunno whether it was due to 心里作用,i just didn't think that it was as delicious as the one that i have eaten in Hokkaido. I remembered the pork melted in my mouth and the soup was the most delicious one that i have tasted. Was it due to the ingredients in Singapore or was it just me? But it is still definitely one of the best ramen in Singapore!

No comments: